As the mother of two Eagle Scouts, I am fussy about flag etiquette. Here are some do's and don'ts for our flag.
1. Do not place any other flag more prominently than the American flag. No politician or cause supersedes the United States flag.
2. Never bastardize the flag for your political beliefs like changing the colors. It is not gray with a blue, red or any other color stripe. It is red, white and blue.
3. Do not display the flag with the Stars and Bars. The Virginia Confederate flag is about the destruction of the United States. That is its history.
4. Never use the flagpole of the US flag to try to beat a capital police officer to death while chanting "Shoot him with his own gun."
5. Never cut the American flag down off of the Capitol and throw it to the ground as insurrectionists cheer.
6. Never try to replace the US Capitol's flag with a Trump flag.
What happened on Jan. 6 was the culmination of an anti-democratic, anti-American movement that has been building in our area for a while. It was not liberals in Trump hats that disgraced our flag. It was people who believe that only they should have a vote, and with Trump's lies and hateful words ringing in their ears, they were willing to spill blood to make Trump king.
Any politician or person that does not condemn that day is not an American let alone an American patriot.