Humint Events Online: Global Warming

Friday, March 23, 2007

Global Warming

I have to say that I might be more receptive to the idea that Global Warming is a hoax if it didn't put me in the same company as a bunch of people I loathe: oil company PR men, proponents of unregulated capitalism and backwards mouth-breathing right-wing ideologues like James Inhofe (R, Senator OK).

I've written more about global warming here and here.

Basically, it is amusing that conservatives can so strongly think there is a great global warming conspiracy but then deride the idea that 9/11 was a great conspiracy.

I think that while 9/11 was a great conspiracy, I am unconvinced about the idea that Global Warming is a great conspiracy. But as I said, I don't care for the company of those who push the idea that Global Warming is a hoax-- and I see no reason to trust them.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

penguins and polar bears do not seem to be having an easy time of it lately.
whether this is the result of the greedy callousness of mankind in general or not remains to be seen.
i believe that it does but

conspiracy? ask the whales for their opinion...

3:46 PM  
Blogger Ningen said...

I did a lot of study and activism on global warming in the 1990s, and remain convinced it's real and getting worse quicker than we thought then. It's been a while since I followed this, but even then, the serious naysayers, like Mintzen of MIT, recognized the basic greenhouse effect but disputed the degree of warming and its predictability. I wonder what he would say now.

One thing that has always bothered me about the whole Kyoto debate is that we agreed in 1992, with the Framework Convention on Climate Change, signed by Bush Daddy and ratified by the Senate, that the developed countries were more responsible, historically and presently, that they had to take action first, and that action by developing countries like China was dependent on financial assistance from developed countries. Yet with the Kyoto debate we acted as if we never made that agreement, and the newspapers always talk about the Kyoto "treaty" and ignore that it is a protocol to a treaty that is already the law of the land.

I really liked your comparison of climate science and 9/11 science, broad and open v. narrow and closed.

People that think global warming is a "conspiracy" seem to think it is designed to take resources away from poor people, and help create world government. The banks and the military industrial leeches do the former just fine, and a treaty secretariat is not a world government. World Bank, IMF, BIS, WTO - those are the ones to worry about.

12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger