You Can See Why Gaddhafi Was Such a Threat
- There is no electricity bill in Libya; electricity is free for all its citizens.
- There is no interest on loans, banks in Libya are state-owned and loans given to all its citizens at zero percent interest by law.
- Having a home considered a human right in Libya.
- All newlyweds in Libya receive $60,000 dinar (U.S.$50,000) by the government to buy their first apartment so to help start up the family.
- Education and medical treatments are free in Libya. Before Gaddafi only 25 percent of Libyans were literate. Today, the figure is 83 percent.
- Should Libyans want to take up farming career, they would receive farming land, a farming house, equipments, seeds and livestock to kickstart their farms are all for free.
- If Libyans cannot find the education or medical facilities they need, the government funds them to go abroad, for it is not only paid for, but they get a U.S.$2,300/month for accommodation and car allowance.
- If a Libyan buys a car, the government subsidizes 50 percent of the price.
- The price of petrol in Libya is $0.14 per liter.
- Libya has no external debt and its reserves amounting to $150 billion are now frozen globally.
- If a Libyan is unable to get employment after graduation the state would pay the average salary of the profession, as if he or she is employed, until employment is found.
- A portion of every Libyan oil sale is credited directly to the bank accounts of all Libyan citizens.
- A mother who gives birth to a child receive U.S.$5,000.
- 40 loaves of bread in Libya costs $0.15.
- 25 percent of Libyans have a university degree.
- Gaddafi carried out the world’s largest irrigation project, known as the Great Manmade River project, to make water readily available throughout the desert country.
I recall that Saddam Hussein's Iraq was also a relatively enlightened place, despite the brutal dictatorship.
Just amazing how the west lets the most backwards Arab and muslim leaders stay in power-- Saudi Arabia, etc. (NOT)