Another Day, Another Trump Freakout
The FBI raid on the home and office of Trump fixer and attorney-sort-of-at-law Michael Cohen has predictably triggered President Trump. In addition to raging against Robert Mueller both on camera and on Twitter, Trump is reportedly subjecting everybody around him to angry tirades.
In case you don’t have time to read all the tirade coverage, here are the best quotes from freaked-out sources, ranked in ascending order:
5. Quote: “There was fear in Trump’s orbit that the president is liable to erupt in anger in coming days, escalating his attacks against Mueller at a time when his attorneys are negotiating a possible interview.” Source: “Trump’s orbit”
4. Quote: “Mr. Trump’s advisers have spent the last 24 hours trying to convince the president not to make an impulsive decision that could put the president in more legal jeopardy and ignite a controversy that could consume his presidency.” Source: “several people close to Mr. Trump”
3. Quote: “He’s sitting there bitching and moaning. He’s brooding and doesn’t have a plan.” Source: “a Republican close to the White House”
2. Quote: “He’s losing his shit,” the operative added. “We’re at a different level now.” Source: “a GOP operative close to the White House”
1. Quote: “Jesus take the wheel.” Source: “a former White House official”
In what is almost certainly a global first for any world leader, early this morning, President Trump used his Twitter feed to announce he is launching missile attacks in Syria.
So much for the element of surprise (snip)
Ten minutes later, Trump fired off another pair of tweets, in which he casually confessed to obstruction of justice (snip)
The key phrase here is “No Collusion or Obstruction (other than I fight back).” When you say “other than,” you are conceding it fits into the larger category, while identifying it as an exception: I didn’t eat the cookies you left out, other than the one that already had a bite out of it. In this case, however, “fight back” is an exception large enough to encompass all Trump’s efforts to impede the investigation into Russian interference on behalf of his campaign.
Everything from demanding James Comey let Michael Flynn go free to firing Comey to dangling pardons for Paul Manafort is fighting back against the investigation. He is rebranding obstruction of justice as Trump fighting back.
Of course, Trump already admitted a year ago, on camera, he fired Comey to stop the Russia investigation, so it’s hardly a Tom Cruise-Jack Nicholson moment. The confession came as a kind of side thought to his larger point, which is that his presidency is “very calm and calculated.” Because obviously.
And on and on...
Worst and most moronic president ever...
So much winning...